With over twenty-two years of professional experience in South Africa and overseas, Judy Kirkwood can provide you with confidence and peace of mind on your parenting journey. A registered nurse and midwife, Judy is also a Board Certified International Lactation Consultant. She is the developer of the patented breastfeeding techniques “shark latch” and “penguin posture” position. She can provide you with proven, research-based care in an honest, warm and accessible manner.
For new parents, there is often a lack of emotional and practical support in making the shift from being a couple to becoming a family. Many new parents also find it daunting to balance their new responsibilities and return to work. Judy has assisted hundreds of couples through this journey. As a mother of two, she understands the stress new parents may feel about delivery, breastfeeding and the first 6 weeks with their new baby.
Using her hands-on, practical approach, backed by a wealth of experience and professional training, Judy will walk alongside you in a supportive yet respectful manner. All classes and consultations are carried out on a personalised, one-on-one basis, where your real concerns and questions can be dealt with in a safe and open environment. Judy prides herself on providing continuity of care, from pregnancy through to birth and beyond. As her clients will testify, Judy’s highly successful breastfeeding rates are due to her effective pre- and post-birth Specialist Lactation Management plan. She can also provide practical support during your hospital stay, and visit you at home after the birth of your baby.
Having Personal Questions? You can talk to a doctorTalk To Us
Why choose Judy?
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC – the global gold standard for healthcare professionals specialising in the clinical management of breastfeeding)
- Registered South African midwife and nurse
- Degree awarded by the University of Cape Town School of Nursing (BNUR UCT)
- Twenty two years experience, specialising in the health of women and newborns
- Professional experience, ranging from neonatal ICU care in London to a midwife and neonatal special care nurse
- Consultant to both the private and government sectors
- Developer of the patented “shark latch” and “penguin posture” position breastfeeding techniques, an easy 5-step method of deep breast attachment
- Corporate – consultant in the corporate space
- Founder of the Best-Start Feeding Initiative, to promote breastfeeding across South Africa through mentoring, training and practical techniques